Govt Extends Ceasefire Agreements With Northeast Insurgent Groups
The government on Wednesday (20 April) announced that the ceasefire pacts with various Northeast insurgent groups have been extended for another year.
The agreements for the ceasefire extension were signed on Tuesday (19 April)
"Ceasefire Agreements are in operation between Government of India and National Socialist Council of Nagaland/NK (NSCN/NK), National Socialist Council of Nagaland/Reformation (NSCN/R) and National Socialist Council of Nagaland/K-Khango (NSCN/K-Khango)," the Home Ministry said in a statement.
"It was decided to extend the Ceasefire Agreements for a further period of one year with effect from 28 April 2022 to 27 April 2023 with NSCN/NK and NSCN/R and from 18 April 2022 to 17 April 2023 with NSCN/K-Khango," the ministry said.
These three insurgent groups are breakaway factions of NSCN-IM and NSCN-K.
The Centre and NSCN-IM entered into peace in 1997 for the first time while the pact was signed with NSCN-K in 2001. But the agreement was withdrawn by the NSCN-K in 2015, reports Asianet.
However, it again announced a ceasefire in 2020 and initiated talks with the central government to find a permanent resolution.
Last year too, the ceasefire was extended for a year that was ending this month.
As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.
Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.
We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.
Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.