Iran on Wednesday (16 July) dismissed an Indian newspaper report that claimed New Delhi had been dropped from Chabahar-Zahedan railway project.
Farhad Montaser, a deputy to Iran's Ports and Maritime Organization, said that the report was "totally false because Iran has not inked any deal with India regarding the Zahedan-Chabahar" railway.
"Iran has only signed two agreements with Indians for investment in Chabahar: one is related to port's machinery and equipment, and the second is related to India's investment to the tune of $150m," Montaser was quoted as saying by IRNA, Iran's official news agency.
He added that the issue of Chabahar railway infrastructure and the railway "was not agreed" during the negotiations between India and Iran.
Earlier on Tuesday (14 July), a report in The Hindu had said that the Iranian government had decided to proceed with the long-stalled rail project without India's participation after New Delhi showed reluctance in investing fearing American sanctions.
Dismissing the report, Montaser said that the US "sanctions have nothing to do to Iran-India's cooperation in Chabahar".
As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.
Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.
We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.
Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.