TRAI Expects 90 Per Cent Of TV Viewers On Board New Tariff Regime By 1 February, The Deadline For MigrationTRAI Chairman R S Sharma (@TRAI/Twitter)

The Telecom Regulatory Authority in India (TRAI) is expecting 90 per cent of the TV viewers to be on board with the 1 February deadline to shift to the latest tariff regime for cable and broadcasting services, Business Today reports, citing TRAI Chairman RS Sharma.

During an interview with PTI, Sharma said the trend recorded in the past few days had seen a sudden surge in customer engagement with the new tariff scheme. Indications from service providers showed that the 100 per cent mark will be hit soon.

TRAI released the new tariff system and regulatory control for the broadcasting and cable sector, paving the way for consumers to pay only for channels they want to watch. Further, the order says that every channel needs to be offered a la carte alongside a transparent display of channel rates on the programme guide.

Sharma said that despite the slow speed initially, the trend has picked up pace and feels that they will be able to cross the 90 per cent mark before 31 January. The rest 10 per cent cases may be of people who are travelling or are not present at home, Sharma added.

On 24 January, TRAI said that around 40 per cent of consumers had already opted to shift to the new system. The regulator has also ruled out extending the deadline.

TRAI, to ensure smooth implementation and creating of customer awareness, released various advertisements, YouTube clips and held regular meetings reviewing the progress of customer choice with broadcasters, Direct-to-home (DTH) operators and multi-system operators (MSO).

An Appeal...

Dear Reader,

As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.

Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.

We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.

Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.

Become A Patron
Become A Subscriber
Advertisement