Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed Lok Sabha during 'Motion of thanks on the president's address' on Monday (5 February). Here are 20 key highlights from his speech:
1. Procession led by Sengol: "The honour of democracy goes up when we have traditions like this," PM Modi said on President Droupadi Murmu being led by Sengol, historical sceptre procession on first day of the Budget session.
2. Opposition pledged to remain opposition: PM Modi slammed opposition saying that their address confirms that they have pledged to remain in opposition in the coming years and they will achieve new heights and reach audience gallery.
He further said that the opposition has even lost the spirit to contest elections and many members are willing to shift to Rajya Sabha, instead of Lok Sabha.
3. Congress is culprit: PM Modi blamed Congress for the bad state of the opposition and claimed that it failed as an opposition and even didn't allow other parties to grow as opposition. He said that the country needs a good opposition.
"Kharge shifted from this house (Lok Sabha) to that house (Rajya Sabha) and Ghulam Nabi (Azad) shifted out of party due to Congress' dynsatic politics," Modi said suggesting that good leaders aren't allowed to bud.
4. Explanation of dynastic politics: "When all party decisions are made by a single family, when members of a family are preferred over others, this is dynastic politics, not people coming from same family into politics," Modi said.
5. Cancel culture: "Congress is confined to a family, it cannot see aspirations and achievements of crores of Indian families," Modi said alleging that Congress is following a "cancel culture" and canceling all achievements.
6. Third term: "In our third term, India will become world's third largest economy, this is Modi's guarantee," the PM said and targeted opposition for taking this achievement for granted.
7. Role of government: "During the 2014 interim budget, the Finance Minister had said that India was 11th largest economy that time and today we are at number 5," Modi said explaining the role of government in economy.
He quoted the then Finance Minister who said that India will become third largest economy in three decades and said they don't even dream as they envisioned this for 2044.
8. "Nau din chale dhai kos": Modi said that this Uttar Pradesh's proverb explains the state of Congress as nobody can compete the party in slow speed.
He said that the speed at which Congress worked, it would have taken 100 years and 60 years respectively to give the same number of houses and Ujjwala gas connections as the Modi government did.
9. Quoted former PMs: Modi quoted first PM Jawahar Lal Nehru as saying that Indians are not used to work much and praised other countries for their hard work which made them developed.
Modi said that Congress never trusted capabilities of Indians. He quoted Indira Gandhi as saying that we get disheartened too much. He further said that this analysis suits Congress, not people of India.
10. "Motor mechanic": Without naming Rahul Gandhi, Modi said that Congress has learned the work of motor mechanic and hence might know what is alignment but INDI Alliance has gone out of alignment.
He targeted the opposition bloc saying that the parties don't trust even each other, while the Modi government trusts the people of India.
11. Different terms: "We filled the potholes created by the Congress in our first term, in second term we led the foundation of a new India and in the third term, we will work for Viksit Bharat," Modi said.
"The achievements that the country was waiting for a long time, we did those works in our second term," Modi said highlighting abrogation of Article 370, Nari Shakti Vandan Adhiniyam and new criminal laws.
12. Lord Ram's homecoming: Modi said that one such temple was constructed that will give energy to India's cultural heritage highlighting the Pran Pratishtha of Shri Ram janmabhoomi Mandir in Ayodhya.
13. Seats in Lok Sabha elections: Modi asserted that BJP will win 370 seats and the NDA will win 400 seats after the party MPs raised slogans of "Abki baar, 400 paar".
14. Congress insulted OBC leaders: PM Modi highlighted that Karpoori Thakur was honoured with Bharat Ratna by BJP government, while Congress conspired to remove him from Bihar CM post.
He said that Congress didn't even accept Karpoori Thakur as Leader of Opposition. He also attacked Congress for counting influence of OBCs but forgetting that PM Modi is himself an OBC.
15. Women empowerment: Modi said that India has 1 crore lakhpati didis today and the count will be 3 crore by the BJP's third term. He highlighted Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana for girl child and paid maternity leaves.
Modi said that many women have initiated their own startups and balancing personal and professional life well. He said that now woman is the head of the family as house, water and gas connections are in her name.
16. Green hydrogen and semiconductor: Modi said that while our last three decades were a failure in semiconductor industry, the coming times will see unprecedented investment in the sector.
He stressed on green hydrogen for sustainable energy procurement.
17. Congress brings inflation: Modi quoted Nehru for accepting the existence of inflation for 10 years of his tenure. He then quoted Indira Gandhi and pointed out there was 30 per cent inflation during the Emergency.
He highlighted that the songs on inflation, that became hit, both came during the Congress rule and stressed that Congress always strengthened inflation, while BJP controlled inflation.
18. Then and now: Modi said that during opposition's rule, central agencies were used only for political purposes and gave stats on impressive work done by Enforcement Directorate (ED).
He said that that then, the House faced uproars over corruption and now the voice is raised when action is taken against corruption. Modi said that direct benefit transfer has made it difficult for middlemen to loot.
19. Agencies are independent: Modi said that the Constitution ensures that investigative agencies are independent and there is judiciary to judge any dispute in their working.
He asserted that nobody will be allowed to loot the country and those who have already looted, will be forced to return.
20. Opposition's support: PM Modi urged opposition to support in developing India. However, he asserted that if they continue attacking, the bricks and stones thrown by them will be used in developed India's foundation.
Nishtha Anushree is Senior Sub-editor at Swarajya. She tweets at @nishthaanushree.
An appeal from Swarajya
At Swarajya, we rely on our readers' support through subscriptions to sustain our media platform. Unlike larger conglomerates, we are unable to relentlessly chase advertising money — our model is largely built on your patronage.
Your support has never been more crucial. We work tirelessly to deliver 10-15 high-quality articles daily, ensuring you receive insightful content from 7 AM to 10 PM.
If you believe India's story has to be articulated in a way it has never been done before without shrugging it off, become a patron (or) subscribe now for ₹̶2̶4̶0̶0̶ ₹1999 and get 12 print issues, unlimited digital access for 1 year, a special India that is Bharat T-shirt (Offer ends soon).
We are counting on you!