Business

India Post Suspends Booking Of All Categories Of Mail To US Amid Regulatory Uncertainty

Swarajya Staff

Aug 31, 2025, 04:17 PM | Updated 04:17 PM IST


India Post Office (Ashwini Vaishnaw/Twitter)
India Post Office (Ashwini Vaishnaw/Twitter)

India’s Department of Posts (DoP) has announced a complete suspension of all categories of postal articles to the United States, including letters, documents, and gift consignments valued under $100.

Earlier on 22 August, the DoP had temporarily restricted postal bookings to the US, allowing only letters, documents, and gift items up to $100 in value.

"In continuation of the Public Notice dated August 22, 2025, the Department of Posts has reviewed the suspension of booking of mail to the United States of America," the Ministry of Communications said in a statement on Sunday (31 August).

Citing carriers’ inability to transport US-bound consignments and lack of defined regulatory procedures, the DoP confirmed that all categories of mail, including low-value letters and gifts, now stand suspended.

"In view of the ongoing inability of carriers to transport U.S.-bound mail and in the absence of defined regulatory mechanisms, it has been decided to completely suspend the booking of all categories of mail, including letters, documents, and gift items valued up to USD 100, destined for the USA," the ministry said.

"The Department is closely monitoring the situation and making every effort to restore services at the earliest. Customers who have already booked items that could not be dispatched may claim a refund of postage," the ministry added.

The move comes after a US Executive Order dated 30 July, which withdrew the duty-free “de minimis exemption” for imports up to $800, effective 29 August.

As a result, all international postal shipments to the US, irrespective of value, will now attract customs duties under the country-specific International Emergency Economic Power Act (IEEPA) tariff framework.

Key Indian exports —such as apparel, carpets, gems and jewellery, wellness goods, handicrafts, electronics, and footwear— which are sent to the US through the e-commerce platforms or shipped directly to consumers, are expected to be impacted.

As per the US Executive Order, transport carriers delivering shipments through the international postal network, or other "qualified parties" approved by the US Customs and Border Protection (CBP), are required to collect and remit duties on postal shipments, news agency IANS reported.

Although CBP released preliminary guidelines on 15 August, key aspects such as defining “qualified parties” and mechanisms for duty collection and remittance remain undefined.

Owing to these gaps, US-bound air carriers stopped accepting postal consignments from 25 August, citing lack of operational and technical preparedness.

Please click here to add Swarajya as your preferred and trusted news source on Google.

Also Read: After Europe And Australia, India To Halt Postal Services To US From 25 August Amid Trump’s Tariff Order


Get Swarajya in your inbox.


Magazine


image
States