Pakistan on Thursday (12 September) said that India would not get second consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav , the retired Indian Navy officer who has been sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court, reports India Today.
"There would be no second consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav," said Mohammad Faisal, spokesperson, Pakistan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Earlier on 2 August, Pakistan had offered India consular access to Jadhav following the International Court of Justice’s (ICJ) verdict asking Pakistan to comply with the Vienna Convention and to ensure "effective review and reconsideration of his conviction and sentences", reports ANI.
However, India declined the offer saying that consular access should be “effective and unhindered”. After much negotiations between the two sides on the terms and conditions of the consular access, India’s deputy high commissioner to Pakistan Gaurav Ahluwalia met Jadhav for an hour in the presence of Pakistani officials on 2 September.
Jadhav was allegedly “arrested” by the Pakistani security forces from Balochistan. However, India has maintained that he was kidnapped from Iran’s Chabahar port, where he was running a business.
As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.
Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.
We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.
Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 999/year is the best way you can support our efforts.