Aviation Ministry Clears The Air For Qataris: Can’t Have A Completely Owned Entity According To NormsQatar Airways. (pic via Twitter)

Union government has hinted that it can make it difficult for the Qatar Airways’ plan to launch an airline in India in the format that it desires to shape. The investment format in India currently allows 49 per cent foreign direct investment (FDI), and the remaining 51 per cent has to be owned by an individual or organisation that is Indian. Non-Residential Indians (NRIs) are however exempted from the rule.

According to the existing framework, RN Choubey, Secretary to the Minister of Civil Aviation Suresh Prabhu says that it is not possible for us to permit complete ownership of an entity by the Qataris solely.

As reported in The Indian Express, said “Current policy of the government is that the substantial ownership and effective control should remain with Indian nationals and they will have to comply. You cannot have substantial ownership of more than 50 per cent because then you are violating the policy.”

Additionally, there is no proposal as of now from Qatar Airlines. The Chief Executive of Qatar Airways Group Akbar Al-Baker is reported to have told the press that the rules of allowing a foreign entity to own 100 per cent stakes in India is not clear enough, hence the confusion.

He expressed that the current policies are very ambiguous and hard to interpret, and sought clarification from the Indian officials. In response to him, Choubey said that it’s not possible to allow complete ownership. If his counterpart was to assume that he can manage to run the entity with 49 per cent ownership, with the other half owned by an Indian entity, it is absolutely permissible.

An Appeal...

Dear Reader,

As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.

Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.

We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.

Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.

Become A Patron
Become A Subscriber
Advertisement