After introducing the cycle sharing system, the Greater Chennai Corporation is launching an e-bike share system, specifically for women and elder citizens in Chennai, the Times of India reports.
The e-bikes, which operates on batteries, can run for around is 45 km with 70 per cent power from the battery and the rest 30 per cent from pedalling. “This is also for those who prefer a ride faster than a cycle,” a corporation official said.
Around 500 e-bikes would be available at 50 different locations including Adyar, Besant Nagar, Mylapore, Kilpauk, Pursawalkam, Ambattur Estate Road metro stations and other feeder stations.
The bikes would be GPS-enabled and users need to unlock them to a mobile application. The bikes can be charged at parking stations, an official said while adding that they would launch the e-bikes at Pondy Bazaar, once safety measures are undertaken.
“We are working on the safety of the bikes to ensure these are not vandalised like the cycles. We are also trying to choose the locations ensuring last mile connectivity,” the general manager (operations) of Smart Bike, N V Ram said.
As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.
Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.
We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.
Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.