Ahead of the Republic Day, the Union Government has announced the list of 21 Padma-Shri awardees for this year, reports India.com.
Here is the complete list:
PADMA Shri (21): Awarded for "distinguished service", it is the fourth-highest civilian award in India
- Jagdish Lal Ahuja -- “ Selflessly organising langar for over 500 poor patients daily for over two decades. ”
- Mohammed Sharif -- “ Performed the last rites of over 25,000 unclaimed bodies in and around Faizabad over the past 25 years ”
- Javed Ahmed Tak -- “ Improving the lives of Kashmir’s divyang children. ”
- Tulsi Gowda -- “ Known as the encyclopedia of forests, she at the age of 72 continues to nurture plants ”
- Sathyanarayan -- “ For promoting education in remote Arunachal Pradesh ”
- Abdul Jabbar -- “ Convener of Bhopal Gas Peedit Mahila Udyog Sangathan ”
- Usha Chaumar -- “ A manual scavenger since the age of 7 ”
- Harekala Hajabba (AKA Akshara Santa) -- “Educated poor children in Dakshin Kannada for over 20 years.”
- Arunoday Mondal -- “ Doctor who travels six hours every weekend to treat patients in remote Sundarban villages. ”
- Radha Mohan & Sabarmati-- “ Started Sambhav, a resource centre for farmers across the country where they visit to exchange seeds and learn organic farming. ”
- Kushal Konwar -- “ Guwahati veterinarian who has devoted his life to the conservation of Asian elephants. He hasn’t taken a single weekend off in the last three decades. ”
- Trinity Saioo -- “ school teacher and tribal farmer who led 800 women in the Jaintia Hills region to cultivate and boost the popularity of the indigenous, high curcumin content Lakadong variety of turmeric ”
- Ravi Kannan -- “ Oncologist from Chennai who has treated over 70,000 cancer patients free of cost in Barak valley. ”
- S Ramakrishnan -- “ Divyang social worker from Tamil Nadu. ”
- Sundaram Verma -- “ A Rajasthan farmer who grew 50,000 trees ”
- Popatrao Pawar -- “ Transformed a drought-prone village of Maharashtra into a green model village. ”
- Munna Master -- “ Muslim Bhajan singer. Has penned bhajans in praise of Lord Krishna & Cows ”
- Yogi Aeron -- “ Treats over 500 patients free of cost every year, suffering from burns or are mauled by animals – Patients are mostly poor, hill women from remote villages in the Himalayas. ”
- Rahibai Soma Popere -- “ Illiterate Tribal farmer from Ahmednagar district, honoured with the title of ‘Seed Mother’ by CSIR for her inspirational work in the tribal-dominated region ”
- Himmata Ram -- “ Took care of 1,000+ birds & animals by feeding them with 20 kg grains every day ”
- Moozhikkal -- “ Preserving the traditional art form of Nokkuvidhya Pavakalli, currently under the threat of extinction ”
As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.
Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.
We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.
Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.