Indian intelligence agencies have flagged at least 52 mobiles apps from China and asked the government to either block them or issue advisory for people to not use them, Hindustan Times has reported while attributing sources.
The list includes popular apps such as video conferencing platform Zoom, TikTok, SHAREit, UC Browser, and WeChat.
The agencies said that the apps were not safe to use and could be transferring important data outside India. The recommendation has also been backed by the National Security Council Secretariat that said the apps were possibly a threat to country’s security, according to a senior government official attributed in the report.
While no decision has been taken yet, “discussions on the recommendations are continuing”, an official was quoted as saying in the report. He said, the threat parameters licked to each app are subject to evaluation one by one.
List of the apps that are on the radar of the intelligence agencies is given below:-
- TikTok, Vault-Hide, Vigo Video, Bigo Live, Weibo
- WeChat, SHAREit, UC News, UC Browser
- BeautyPlus, Xender, ClubFactory, Helo, LIKE
- Kwai, ROMWE, SHEIN, NewsDog, Photo Wonder
- APUS Browser, VivaVideo- QU Video Inc
- Perfect Corp, CM Browser, Virus Cleaner (Hi Security Lab)
- Mi Community, DU recorder, YouCam Makeup
- Mi Store, 360 Security, DU Battery Saver, DU Browser
- DU Cleaner, DU Privacy, Clean Master – Cheetah
- CacheClear DU apps studio, Baidu Translate, Baidu Map
- Wonder Camera, ES File Explorer, QQ International
- QQ Launcher, QQ Security Centre, QQ Player, QQ Music
- QQ Mail, QQ NewsFeed, WeSync, SelfieCity, Clash of Kings
- Mail Master, Mi Video call-Xiaomi, Parallel Space
As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.
Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.
We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.
Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.