Train-18 is now officially recognised as the fastest train in India as per Railway Minister Piyush Goyal’s tweet. The tweet also carries a driver’s view video that shows the speedometer of the train touching 180 kmph, as well as the surrounding scenery zipping away.
The world-class train is manufactured at ICF (Integral Coach Factory) in Chennai, using 80 per cent indigenous components. It is a 100 per cent ‘Make in India’ initiative and was built in a record time of 18 to 20 months. The first prototypes of the train are ready.
The railways has a plethora of features. According to CII, the features of Train 18 include :
- Super-comfortable seating, concealed roller blinds and spacious luggage rack.
- On-board Wi-Fi and GPS-based Passenger Information System, for a smooth, safe and productive ride.
- Continuous windows for a better viewing experience.
- Diffused, energy-efficient LED lighting and halogen-free rubber-on-rubber flooring
- Zero discharge bio-vacuum toilets, with touch-free bathroom fittings, vacuum space for wheel chairs and disabled friendly restrooms.
- Special arrangements for accommodating wheel chairs and providing access in coaches.
- 3-phase propulsion system and jerk-free riding.
- The train will have driving cabs at both ends with less acceleration and deceleration time
The train costs around Rs 5-6 crore per coach. This is 60 per cent cheaper than global cost of similar trains.
As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.
Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.
We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.
Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.