Insta

Modi Government Apprised The US Of Decision To Revoke Article 370 After Pulwama And Last Week: Report

Swarajya Staff

Aug 06, 2019, 11:57 AM | Updated 11:57 AM IST

PM Modi with US President Donald Trump (@narendramodi/Twitter)
PM Modi with US President Donald Trump (@narendramodi/Twitter)

India had reportedly informed United States twice, after Pulwama terror attack and last week, about its intentions to abrogate Article 370, which gave special status to Jammu and Kashmir, reports The Print.

The Minister for External Affairs S Jaishankar had last week briefed US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo about the Modi government’s plan to scrap the Article 370 and Article 35A, sources were cited in the report as saying.

According to the report, the meeting between Jaishankar and Pompeo took place on the sidelines of the ninth East Asia Summit Foreign Ministers’ Meeting in Bangkok, Thailand on 1 August.

However, this was reportedly not the first time when India briefed US on the issue. Earlier in February, National Security Advisor Ajit Doval had called his US counterpart John Bolton two days after Pulwama attack and told him about the Modi government’s plans to scrap the ‘special status’ accorded to Jammu and Kashmir.

As per the report, the Trump administration was apprised of the move by the Modi government as it did not want to take a chance when it came to the US, sources said.

Furthermore, on Monday (5 August), soon after the Union Home Minister announced the decision to abrogate Article 370, the Ministry of External Affairs swung into action and briefed the envoys of the P-5 nations - the US, United Kingdom, China, France and Russia- about the Centre’s move.

Besides, the envoys of all the 15 members of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) were also briefed.


Get Swarajya in your inbox.


Magazine


image
States