MoU Signed For Rare Earth Extraction From Aluminium Waste Under Aatmnirbhar Mission
MoU Signed For Rare Earth Extraction From Aluminium Waste Under Aatmnirbhar MissionMoU Signing Ceremony on Technology Development for Holistic Utilization of Red Mud for Extraction of Metallic Values

A Memorandum of Understanding, MoU was signed between CSIR Institute of Metal and Materials Technology (CSIR-IMMT), Bhubaneswar; CSIR-National Metallurgical Laboratory (CSIR-NML), Jamshedpur; National Aluminium Company Ltd. (NALCO), on 31 March for extraction of Rare Earth Elements (REE), from Red Mud(Aluminum waste).

Also part of MoU is the Nagpur-based institute Jawaharlal Nehru Aluminium Research Development Design Centre (JNARDDC) and Hindalco Industries Limited and Vedanta Limited, as reported by The Hitavada.

This will help in reducing import dependence on China for REE and will boost the Aatmnirbhar Bharat Mission. China today controls nearly 90 per cent of global rare earth production.

Red Mud is produced in alumina extraction from bauxite; around 1-ton alumina extract generates 1-1.5 tonnes of red Mud.

"Scandium is one of the strategic element in the group of REEs, which is utilise in space and defence technologies at large number(sic). India produce 10 million tonnes of red Mud per annum in which we can extract about 4,000 tonnes of Scandium per annum,” told Dr Anupam Agnihotri, Director, JNARDDC, to The Hitavada.

India is the fourth-largest producer of aluminium in the world, with a share of around 5.3 per cent of the global aluminium output.

JNARDDC is the only institution in the country that invented a technology to extract REE from red Mud and also to reuse red Mud for other commercial activities. Today, we are just reusing 1% of red Mud and the remaining 99% is just dumped as a waste", added Agnihotri.

An Appeal...

Dear Reader,

As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.

Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.

We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.

Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.

Become A Patron
Become A Subscriber