‘Not The Time To Reduce Resources’: UN Chief Slams Donald Trump’s Move To Halt WHO’s Funding

‘Not The Time To Reduce Resources’: UN Chief Slams Donald Trump’s Move To Halt WHO’s FundingUN Secretary General Antonio Guterres (Olaf Kosinsky/Wikimedia Commons)

Hours after United States President Donald Trump decided to halt the US’ funding to the World Health Organisation (WHO), United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Antonio Guterres spoke against the move on Wednesday (15 April) and said it was “not the time”.

Guterres said in a statement reported by Hindustan Times, it was “not the time to reduce the resources for the operations of the World Health Organisation or any other humanitarian organisation in the fight against the virus.”

Calling upon all nations to act together to fight the global coronavirus pandemic, the UN chief said, “Now is the time for unity and for the international community to work together in solidarity to stop this virus and its shattering consequences.”

Earlier on Tuesday, President Trump announced he was halting the funding to the WHO as the US will review its alleged "role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of coronavirus."

“Today I’m instructing my administration to halt funding of the World Health Organisation while a review is conducted to assess the WHO’s role in severely mismanaging and covering up the spread of the coronavirus,” Trump said at a White House press conference, as reported by CNBC TV18.

Trump’s decision came at a time when the US has emerged as the worst-hit nation from the global coronavirus pandemic. As of 14 April, the US has reported 613,886 positive cases, while 26,047 people have lost their lives.