President of India Ram Nath Kovind has decided to give up 30 per cent of his salary for a year to aid country in fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.
The President had earlier donated his one month’s salary to the PM CARES Fund in March.
The Rashtrapati Bhavan, in a statement, said, “As a part of steps to make more resources available for Covid-19 relief measures, the President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, after contributing one month’s salary to the PM-CARES Fund in March, has decided to forego 30 percent of his salary for a year.”
The President has instructed the Rashtrapati Bhavan to set an example by economising the expenditure, making optimal use of resources and dovetailing the saved money to combat Covid-19 and mitigate the people''s economic plight.
In the President''s estimation, this will be a small but significant contribution to realizing the government''s vision of making India self-reliant and energising the nation to take up the challenge to fight the pandemic.
To reduce its expenditure, the Rashtrapati Bhavan on Thursday announced undertaking some measures that include no new capital works during financial year 2020-21 and only completion of the ongoing works.
Repair and maintenance work will be minimised in the Rashtrapati Bhavan to ensure upkeep of assets and there will be a substantial reduction in the use of office consumables. For instance, the Rashtrapati Bhavan will use e-technology to cut down the use of paper to avoid wastage and make the office eco-friendly. Efforts will be made to save energy and fuel by rationalising their usage.
The President has decided to defer purchase of the Presidential Limousine which was to be used for ceremonial occasions. The existing resources of the Rashtrapati Bhavan and the government will be shared and used for such occasions.
The domestic tours and programmes will be substantially reduced in order to follow the social distancing restrictions and minimise the expenditure that such exercises entail, a Rashtrapati Bhavan statement said. Instead, the President will largely rely on technology to reach out to people, said the statement.
Consumption during ceremonial occasions such as At-Home ceremonies and state banquets will be minimised by taking measures such as keeping smaller guest lists to maintain social distancing, lesser usage of flowers and other items for decoration on such occasions, and pruning the food menu to the extent possible.
It is estimated that these measures will save nearly 20 per cent of the budget of the Rashtrapati Bhavan in the current financial year.
Meanwhile, it will be ensured that such austerity measures would have no adverse impact on support given to outsourced and contractual workers. The statement clarified that other activities taken up by the Rashtrapati Bhavan for the welfare of the poor would not be affected.
(With inputs from IANS)
An appeal from Swarajya
At Swarajya, we rely on our readers' support through subscriptions to sustain our media platform. Unlike larger conglomerates, we are unable to relentlessly chase advertising money — our model is largely built on your patronage.
Your support has never been more crucial. We work tirelessly to deliver 10-15 high-quality articles daily, ensuring you receive insightful content from 7 AM to 10 PM.
If you believe India's story has to be articulated in a way it has never been done before without shrugging it off, become a patron (or) subscribe now for ₹̶2̶4̶0̶0̶ ₹1999 and get 12 print issues, unlimited digital access for 1 year, a special India that is Bharat T-shirt (Offer ends soon).
We are counting on you!