The All India Council of Technical Education (AICTE) has introduced a 360-degree feedback scoring system which will be used to assess a teacher and consequently play a part in his/her promotion, Indian Express has reported.
The factors determining this feedback system would be:
- Teaching process - 25 per cent weightage
- Departmental activities - 20 per cent weightage
- Institute activity - 10 per cent weightage
- Annual Confidential Report - 10 points
- Contribution to society - 10 points
- Student feedback -25 per cent weightage
Incidentally, this is the first time students’ feedback would be considered during teachers’ assessment with regards to promotions. AICTE adviser Rajive Kumar states that this process gives its due to the students who are the primary stakeholders in the education system.
This notification would be applicable to all the AICTE affiliated colleges which number over 10,500. The process to implement the proposal is currently being worked out and a final procedure draft would be circulated.
Some professors have questioned this decision by arguing that some similar attempts in the past had shown that students paid more emphasis on their personal rapport with the teachers as compared to an objective analysis.