Main litigant in the Ayodhya land dispute case, Iqbal Ansari, on Sunday (17 November) distanced himself from the decision of the All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) to file a petition seeking review of the Supreme Court verdict, reports India Today.
Reportedly, soon after the verdict was pronounced on 9 November, Ansari had stated that he would not seek review of the verdict.
"There is no use of going for the review as the outcome will remain the same...the move will also vitiate the harmonious atmosphere," he told PTI after the Board decided to file a review petition in the apex court.
"My views are different from that of the Board and want an end to the mandir-masjid issue at this very point," he said.
The All India Muslim Personal Law Board (AIMPLB) on Sunday (17 November) declared that it will file a review petition against the Supreme Court (SC) verdict on the Ayodhya issue. The AIMPLB also decided not to accept the five-acre land for the mosque at an alternative site since it is against the tenets of Islam.
Senior AIMPLB member and convener of the All India Babri Masjid Action Committee (AIBMAC) Zafaryab Jilani said that the case had been filed in court on behalf of all Muslims and the board was representing the sentiments of the community which wanted to exercise its constitutional rights and file a review petition.
Jilani said in reply to a question that senior lawyer Rajiv Dhawan would continue as their lawyer and they would try to file the petition within 30 days of the judgement which came on 9 November.
(With Inputs from IANS)