Karnataka Govt Directs Private Hospitals To Reserve 50 Per Cent Beds For Covid-19 Patients Amid Surge In Cases

by IANS - Apr 13, 2021 08:36 AM +05:30 IST
Karnataka Govt Directs Private Hospitals To Reserve 50 Per Cent Beds For Covid-19 Patients Amid Surge In CasesKarnataka Health Minister K Sudhakar with CM B S Yediyurappa (Representative Image)

Private hospitals in Karnataka would reserve 50 per cent of beds for treating Covid patients amid surging cases during the pandemic's second wave, said state Health Minister K Sudhakar on Monday (12 April).

"Private hospitals across the state have been directed to reserve 50 per cent of their beds for Covid patients as they did during the pandemic's first wave last year," Sudhakar told reporters after a virtual meeting with the Private Hospitals and Nursing Homes Association (Phana) members.

According to the state health bulletin, 9,579 new cases were reported across the state on Sunday, with 6,387 from Bengaluru, while the infection claimed 52 lives, including 40 in this tech city during the last 24 hours.

"Asymptomatic patients will be isolated in Covid care centres, hotels and their homes so that patients in serious condition can be treated in state-run and private hospitals," said Sudhakar, a medical doctor by profession.

Of the 470 patients in the intensive care units (ICUs), 176 are in Bengaluru hospitals, followed by 48 in Kolar, 44 in Kalaburagi, 29 in Mysuru, 21 in Bidar and 20 in Tumakuru, with the rest spread in the remaining 25 districts across the state.

As private hospitals complained of Remdesivir shortage, Sudhakar said the drug controller would be directed to supply it to them at government rate.

"We have also taken measures to supply sufficient ventilators and oxygen to all hospitals for treating Covid patients admitted in their ICUs," he asserted.

Noting that experience over the last year in fighting the first wave was helping the state government in tackling the second wave, Sudhakar said steps were being taken to contain the virus spread.

"The technical advisory committee of experts has assessed the situation for the next 2 months and advised measures to contain the second wave, which is expected to peak in the first week of May," the Minister said.

Admitting that strict measures are in place to contain the virus spread amid economic slowdown in the state, Sudhakar said people should cooperate with the state government by adhering to the Covid guidelines to control the pandemic.

"Though there is no move to impose lockdown now, our appeal to the public is to ensure Covid appropriate behaviour and prevent the government from making it (lockdown) inevitable," added Sudhakar.

(This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.)

Get Swarajya in your inbox everyday. Subscribe here.

An Appeal...

Dear Reader,

As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.

Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.

We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.

Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.

Become A Patron
Become A Subscriber
Comments ↓
Get Swarajya in your inbox everyday. Subscribe here.
Advertisement

Latest Articles

    Artboard 4Created with Sketch.