BRS working president K T Rama Rao on Saturday (6 January) criticized the Congress government in Telangana for the cancellation of the Hyderabad E-Prix, originally scheduled for 10 February, by Formula E.
Rao, who served as a minister in the former BRS government, described the decision as "poor and regressive", arguing that it tarnishes the international reputation of both the city and the country.
"Events like Hyderabad E-Prix enhance the brand image of our city and country across the world. We had put in a lot of effort and time to bring Formula E-Prix for the first time to India," Rama Rao said on social media platform X.
"We had put in a lot of effort and time to bring Formula E-Prix for the first time to India," Rama Rao said.
The BRS government had taken the initiative to use the Formula E Race as an occasion to also conduct a week long EV Summit attracting EV enthusiasts, Manufacturers and Startups to showcase Hyderabad as an attractive investment destination, he said.
Formula E has announced the cancellation of the Hyderabad E-Prix, alleging a contract breach by the new Telangana government.
"The cancellation comes following a decision by the Municipal Administration and Urban Development Department (MAUD), under the control of the Government of Telangana, not to fulfil the Host City Agreement signed on October 30 2023," Formula E said in statement on Friday.
The first-ever electric race in India took place in Hyderabad in February last year. The subsequent Formula E race was slated for February 10.
Last week, Formula E released a statement requesting immediate clarification from the newly elected Congress government in Telangana on fulfillment of contractual obligations under the agreement, and how this could potentially affect the race.
“The host city agreement was signed on October 30, 2023. Formula E’s senior executive team met with the new leadership of Telangana government immediately following elections earlier this month. Discussions have been ongoing since then,” the statement said.
A spokesperson for the Hyderabad E-Prix earlier said that despite discussions in December, there has been no response from the Congress government, and time constraints make it increasingly unlikely for the event to proceed.
Kuldeep is Senior Editor (Newsroom) at Swarajya. He tweets at @kaydnegi.
An appeal from Swarajya
At Swarajya, we rely on our readers' support through subscriptions to sustain our media platform. Unlike larger conglomerates, we are unable to relentlessly chase advertising money — our model is largely built on your patronage.
Your support has never been more crucial. We work tirelessly to deliver 10-15 high-quality articles daily, ensuring you receive insightful content from 7 AM to 10 PM.
If you believe India's story has to be articulated in a way it has never been done before without shrugging it off, become a patron (or) subscribe now for ₹̶2̶4̶0̶0̶ ₹1999 and get 12 print issues, unlimited digital access for 1 year, a special India that is Bharat T-shirt (Offer ends soon).
We are counting on you!