N Vasanthaleela, a former Principal District Judge, who acquitted Higher Education Minister K Ponmudy and his wife in a disproportionate assets case, has requested the Madras High Court to expunge the remarks made against her when the Court initiated a suo motu revision of the acquittal, reported The Hindu.
In her communication to the Court, she wrote that the comments made about her were "unjustified, unwarranted, and derogatory." She added that they had tarnished her reputation.
The comments she wished to be expunged were as follows: “By June 6, 2023, a case which had thus far been lingering on for years started to move with great alacrity. Perhaps, the accused drew inspiration from Paulo Coelho, who said that when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it....”
“By the first week of June 2023, the celestial stars of the accused appeared to be lining up perfectly with the blessings of judicial personages, including the Principal District Judge, Vellore, who was set to demit office on June 30, 2023. Defence Witness-1 was quickly examined on the side of the defense on June 6, 2023... On June 23, 2023, written submissions were made on the side of the accused and on June 28, 2023 i.e., within four days, the Principal District Judge, Vellore marshalled the evidence of 172 prosecution witnesses and 381 documents and managed (or rather stage-managed) to deliver a 226-page testament/judgment acquitting all the accused"
“This unique feat on the part of the Principal District Judge, Vellore can find few parallels, and it may well be said this is a feat that even judicial mortals in constitutional courts can only dream of. Two days thereafter, on June 30, 2023, the Principal District Judge, Vellore retired and cheerfully rode off into the sunset."
Vasanthaleela mentioned that the disproportionate assets case had already seen 90% of its trial completed at the Villupuram Principal District Court before being moved to Vellore. She noted that only the remaining 10% of the trial proceedings took place under her supervision, in line with the High Court's 2022 directive for a swift conclusion.
She also stated that she spent ten days dictating the verdict following the conclusion of the oral arguments on 19 June 2023 and not in four days after the submission of written arguments as stated in the remarks.
An appeal from Swarajya
At Swarajya, we rely on our readers' support through subscriptions to sustain our media platform. Unlike larger conglomerates, we are unable to relentlessly chase advertising money — our model is largely built on your patronage.
Your support has never been more crucial. We work tirelessly to deliver 10-15 high-quality articles daily, ensuring you receive insightful content from 7 AM to 10 PM.
If you believe India's story has to be articulated in a way it has never been done before without shrugging it off, become a patron (or) subscribe now for ₹̶2̶4̶0̶0̶ ₹1999 and get 12 print issues, unlimited digital access for 1 year, a special India that is Bharat T-shirt (Offer ends soon).
We are counting on you!