Watch: Dr V Anantha Nageswaran On How World Was Already Turning Its Back On Globalisation When India Launched Its Atmanirbhar Initiative:
During the panel discussion organised during the Swarajya-Vedanta ‘The Road To Atmanirbharta’ webinar, Dr V Anantha Nageswara, an adjunct professor of economics at Singapore Management University and presently a part-time member of the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council spoke to Siddharth Zarabi, Managing Editor of NewJ, on the following areas
- Criticism that Atmanirbhar Bharat is a throwback to protectionism.
- On the dwindling enthusiasm for Global trade and if Atmanirbhar Bharat is essentially a response to the trend
- Did India suffer premature 'deindustralisation' in many areas due to embrace of unfettered free trade.
- Manufacturing has been laggard and will recent policy focus including PLI etc can help kickstart manufacturing in newer areas
- Crafting FTAs to support Atmanirbharta and what should be India 's approach to RCEP
- Arguments by former CEA etc that Atmanirbhata pivot is based on mistaken assumption that India was a laggard in exports.
- Role Of States in enabling policy environment
A full report on the discussion can be accessed here.
As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.
Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.
We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.
Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.