Another Jawan Dies At Bathinda Military Station, Hours After The Shooting Incident That Killed Four Soldiers

Ujjwal Shrotryia

Apr 13, 2023, 02:30 PM | Updated 02:30 PM IST

Bathinda Military Station. (image via PTI).
Bathinda Military Station. (image via PTI).

An Army jawan has allegedly committed suicide at Bathinda Military station on Wednesday (12 April) evening, reported The Tribune.

This incident occurred on the same day and at the same military station, where two unknown assailants shot and killed four army soldiers from an artillery unit.

However, the Army has denied any connection between both the incidents. "There is no connection whatsoever with the incident that took place at 4.30am at Bathinda Military Station on Wednesday," the Army said. 

The soldier was on sentry duty, and was carrying his service weapon and according to the Army, committed suicide at 4.30pm on 12 April.

He was found with a gunshot wound near his right temporal region, along with a weapon and cartridge case. Even though he was taken to a military hospital, he died due to his injuries, the report says.

The soldier had returned from leave on 11 April. "The case seems to be of attempted suicide," the Army said in a statement.

The Army and Punjab Police are conducting separate investigations into yesterday's (12 April) shooting incident, which occurred at the same military station and resulted in the death of four jawans.

The four soldiers were asleep when firing occurred at approximately 4:30am in their barracks, near the artillery unit officers' mess.

According to the report, two masked men in kurta-pyjama were seen coming out of the barracks and walking towards the forested area near the barracks, after the firing.

The Army and Punjab Police have cordoned off the entire military base and a hunt is still on to nab the assailants.

The Police and Army says that this is no terrorist act and could be a case of fractricide. "The information we have gathered so far, it is clear that it is not a terrorist act," Punjab police said.

Army Chief General Manoj Pande has briefed the Defence Minister Rajnath Singh on the matter.

A Court of Inquiry (CoI) has been set up by the Army which will separately investigate the incident.

According to an ANI report, an INSAS rifle and its 28 rounds, which went missing two days ago and were suspected to have been used in a firing incident, have been found by the Army.

Staff Writer at Swarajya. Writes on Indian Military and Defence.

Get Swarajya in your inbox.