Over 100 Chinese Soldiers Transgressed 5 Km Into Indian Territory In Uttarakhand's Barahoti, Damaged Infrastructure

Over 100 Chinese Soldiers Transgressed 5 Km Into Indian Territory In Uttarakhand's Barahoti, Damaged InfrastructureChinese soldiers (Representative image)
Snapshot
  • Heightened Chinese activity has been noticed along the Line of Actual Control in Barahoti since the standoff in Ladakh began last year.

Over 100 Chinese soldiers transgressed into Indian territory in Uttrakhand's Barahoti on 30 August and damaged infrastructure, including a bridge, before retreating back, a report in the Economic Times says.

Chinese soldiers came at least 5 kilometres inside Indian territory in the area through the Tunjun-La pass with 55 horses.

The transgression by Chinese soldiers did not lead to a standoff because the transgressors left the area before they could be confronted.

The Economic Times report, based on information provided by sources in the security establishment, says the Chinese soldiers stayed in Indian territory in Barahoti for almost three hours.

The transgression by Chinese troops was reported by locals, after which teams from the Indian Army and the Indo-Tibetan Border Police were dispatched to verify the report.

(Read: Ladakh's Decision To Scrap Permit System For Tourists Is A Response To China's Border Consolidation Project In Tibet)

Barahoti lies on the border with China in the Chamoli district of Uttrakhand, north of the Nanda Devi National Park.

In the Central Sector (a 545-km stretch of border with Tibet in Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand), the dispute between India and China is over 2,000 square km of territory, in eight separate areas.

In Uttarakhand, China also lays claim to Harsil (near Uttarkashi) and Rimkhim (near Joshimath).

The first Chinese intrusions into Indian territory took place in Barahoti plains in June 1954. Since then, Indian security forces report dozens of Chinese transgressions into Barahoti every year.

In July 2017, during the standoff with China in Bhutan's Doklam, Chinese soldiers had transgressed into Barahoti twice.

“On both occasions [on July 15 and July 25] about 15-20 Chinese soldiers transgressed into the territory at Barahoti that India and China lay claim upon. The soldiers stayed there for a while and returned,” a source in the Indo-Tibetan Border Police told the Indian Express back then.

Heightened Chinese activity has been noticed long the Line of Actual Control in Barahoti since the standoff in Ladakh began last year.

“Recently, a platoon (about 35 soldiers) from the PLA was seen operating around the Barahoti area in Uttarakhand. The Chinese were seen doing some activity in this area after a significant breach," an ANI report quoted sources as saying in July this year.

China also built a new garrison only 70 km away from the Barahoti plains. The People's Liberation Army had released videos of soldiers moving into the base along with mechanised and logistics units last year, during the standoff in eastern Ladakh.

An infographic posted on Twitter by @detresfa_.
An infographic posted on Twitter by @detresfa_.

(Read: Video, Satellite Images Show Chinese Army Has Built A New Base Near India-Nepal-China Trijunction)

In order to avoid a Ladakh-like situation in the Barahoti plains of Uttarakhand, the Indian Army had also increased deployments in the central sector after hightened Chinese activity was noticed.

In June this year, Chief of Defence Staff Gen Bipin Rawat visited a number of forward locations along the LAC with China in the Central Sector in Himachal to take stock of India's military preparedness.

Comments

Latest Articles

    Artboard 4Created with Sketch.