Coal Shortage Hits Private Sector Hard; It Paid 102 Per Cent More Than Power Stations In 2018Coal India (SAM PANTHAKY/AFP/GettyImages)

India’s private sector has been paying 102 per cent more than the power stations for getting coal supplies, Zee Business has reported.

Coal India supplies 90 per cent of its coal to power plants at notified prices. The remaining 10 per cent is sold to private players based on auctions. The price of the coal is determined by market forces during these auctions. Cement, steel and aluminium producers have been affected by the high premium for getting coal in the Indian market. The scenario is worse in comparison to the 67 per cent premium paid by the private sector last year.

During September, 2.58 million tonnes of coal was auctioned. This was sold at prices 102 per cent more than the notified prices through e-spot auctions. This jump is due to lower quantity of coal put up for auction. Quantity of coal auctioned was 4.02 million tonnes in 2016 and 3.05 million tonnes in 2017.

An Appeal...

Dear Reader,

As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.

Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.

We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.

Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.

Become A Patron
Become A Subscriber
Advertisement