L&T on Monday (3 February) announced that it has set up a missile integration facility at a special economic zone in Tamil Nadu’s Coimbatore in collaboration with European defence major MBDA Missile Systems, Economic Times has reported.
The L&T-MBDA joint venture known as LTMMSL has set up the "assembly, inert integration and testing facility for missile sub-systems and missile weapon launch systems" in a plant spread across 16,000 square metres.
As part of the inert process, the missiles are integrated without adding the explosive component.
LTMMSL is a joint venture between L&T which owns 51 per cent of the stake and MBDA which owns the rest 49 per cent. It has already received a few export orders and will begin delivering the defence equipment from 2020. It eventually hopes to offer advanced missile systems to the Indian Armed Forces.
The Tamil Nadu Defence Industrial Corridor was formally launched by erstwhile defence minister Nirmala Sitharaman last year and became the second such corridor in India.
The corridor developed over the existing defence ecosystem in the state has six nodes in Trichy, Salem, Hosur, Coimbatore, Madurai as well as Chennai.
Coimbatore was chosen as the defence innovation hub as it already had a thriving ecosystem of large number of micro, medium and small enterprises.
In the city, as many as 200 enterprises are vying for lucrative defence contracts from large manufacturers, and some have already lined up few deals. Among the early starters are CRI Pumps (supplies to the Indian Navy) and Shanthi Gears, a part of the Rs 32,900 crore Murugappa Group, which makes gearboxes for battle tanks.
An appeal from Swarajya
At Swarajya, we rely on our readers' support through subscriptions to sustain our media platform. Unlike larger conglomerates, we are unable to relentlessly chase advertising money — our model is largely built on your patronage.
Your support has never been more crucial. We work tirelessly to deliver 10-15 high-quality articles daily, ensuring you receive insightful content from 7 AM to 10 PM.
If you believe India's story has to be articulated in a way it has never been done before without shrugging it off, become a patron (or) subscribe now for ₹̶2̶4̶0̶0̶ ₹1999 and get 12 print issues, unlimited digital access for 1 year, a special India that is Bharat T-shirt (Offer ends soon).
We are counting on you!