Defence Production Sector Is Open To Everyone, Or Is It? L&T Says There Is No Level Playing Field

Defence Production Sector Is Open To Everyone, Or Is It? L&T Says There Is No Level Playing Field

by Ujjwal Shrotryia - Wednesday, March 1, 2023 01:56 PM IST
Defence Production Sector Is Open To Everyone, Or Is It? L&T Says There Is No Level Playing FieldL&T Fast Interceptor Class (Pic Via Wikipedia)

In a revelation about the defence production sector in India, Jayant Patil, a member of the executive committee of management of L&T said, “there is no level playing field in defence production”.

In a interview with the Hindu Businessline, Patil said that although “theoretically the defence production sector is open to both the public and private sectors, in practical terms, there is no level playing field”.

He says, "the government loads its own enterprises with orders on a nomination basis, leaving very little for the private sector”.

While comparing L&T shipyard's capabilities with the public-sector shipyards, he says that the company has an excellent operational track record.

He points out that “L&T-owned ‘Kattupalli shipyard’ is the biggest shipyard in the country with an area spread over 970 acres while the government-owned shipyard Mazagaon Docks Limited (MDL) is spread over only 40 acres.

“L&T has delivered more than 77 warships ahead of time, yet most of the orders are given to public sector companies on nomination basis,” he laments.

Patil further says that “L&T has invested Rs 8,000 crore in seven facilities for defence production years ago, but the factories’ capacity utilisation is far from full”.

Patil further adds that about 85 per cent of the orders by value for warship programmes go to public-sector shipyards on a nomination basis. Only the remaining 15 per cent goes up for competition, between public and private shipyards.

“The public shipyards even in these competitions enjoy the edge because of the advantage of large orders and an owner — Government of India — who does not demand a return on investment (ROI)”.

According to the Businessline report, Patil describes this as a mindset gap.

“The government should realise that any asset public or private is created only with public money”.

“They say, ‘you compete’. How can I compete when there is no level playing field?” he asks.

He further explains the situation in the communication, radar and electronic warfare sector, saying that the private sector is more mature ‘than anybody else’ in communications, and despite that the orders go to the public sector.

Explaining the space sector, he says that the situation is the same in ‘space’ too. The sector is almost reserved for Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) and there is no end-to-end product capability, though private companies have the ability to manufacture some components.

He also explains about the TATA-Airbus C-295 production plant in Vadodara. The final assembly portion of TATA is just about 12 per cent, Patil says.

He further adds that the “entire upstream is not available to the private sector”.

Intern at Swarajya. Writes on Indian Military and Defence.
Get Swarajya in your inbox everyday. Subscribe here.

An Appeal...

Dear Reader,

As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.

Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.

We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.

Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.

Become A Patron
Become A Subscriber
Comments ↓
Get Swarajya in your inbox everyday. Subscribe here.

Latest Articles

    Artboard 4Created with Sketch.