The ninth meeting of the GST Council saw agreement on the issue of dual control or sharing of administrative powers between the Centre and states. The states will tax 90 per cent of all assessees with an annual turnover of Rs 1.5 crore or less with the remaining 10 per cent under the jurisdiction of the Centre, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley told reporters at the end of the Council meeting. Assessees with an annual turnover of more than Rs 1.5 crore will be shared in a 50:50 ratio.
The power to levy and collect Integrated GST (IGST) will lie with the Centre, said the finance minister said but by a special provision in law, states will also be cross-empowered. States can also tax any economic activity in territorial waters up to 12 nautical miles. States have also agreed on 1 July, 2017 as a realistic date to roll out the new indirect tax regime from the earlier 1 April deadline, said Jaitley. The next meeting of the GST Council will take place on 18 February after the Union Budget.
As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.
Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.
We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.
Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 999/year is the best way you can support our efforts.