The Pentagon has said that a $1.66 billion security assistance to Pakistan from the US has been suspended, in line with the directives of President Donald Trump earlier this year, The Hindu has reported.
According to the report, spokesman of US Department of Defense, Col Rob Manning on Tuesday (20 November), said, “USD 1.66 billion of security assistance to Pakistan is suspended.”
The statement did not provide a further breakdown of the suspended security assistance to Pakistan.
As per the report, David Sedney, former Assistant Secretary Defense for Pakistan, Afghanistan and Central Asia, during the Obama administration, said the move was a strong signal of US frustration with the Islamic country.
He said that Pakistan had not taken any serious steps to address the core concern of US, which is the continuous encouragement of groups that use violence against its neighbours.
Sedney said that President Trump was frustrated with Pakistani leaders’ hollow promises of cooperation with the US.
Earlier, Trump had criticised Pakistan for not doing anything for the US and quoted the example of its blatant support of hardline terrorist Osama Bin Laden on its soil, despite eating out of America’s hands.
As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.
Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.
We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.
Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.