Fifth Case Of An Elephant Electrocuted To Death In Tamil Nadu — In March Alone
An adult male elephant was electrocuted in the Poochiyur forest range in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu, on 25 March, according to The News Minute.
It was tragically the fifth elephant death caused by electrocution in only the month of March.
Reports say the elephant was killed on the spot after an electric pole fell on the animal.
The elephant had rubbed himself on a cement post supporting the electric pole, but the cement post broke down and, along with it, down came the electric pole, striking the elephant.
Power was later disconnected from the pole, after residents of the Poochiyur village told the electricity board about the incident.
Forest officials are said to be probing the incident.
Previously, a male elephant had succumbed to electrocution in Dharmapuri’s Kelavalli village, on 18 March.
Earlier in the month, three elephants were electrocuted at Kali Kavindar Kottai in Dharmapuri, on 7 March. They were trying to cross a fence erected by a farmer to keep wild boars out of his farm.
As you are no doubt aware, Swarajya is a media product that is directly dependent on support from its readers in the form of subscriptions. We do not have the muscle and backing of a large media conglomerate nor are we playing for the large advertisement sweep-stake.
Our business model is you and your subscription. And in challenging times like these, we need your support now more than ever.
We deliver over 10 - 15 high quality articles with expert insights and views. From 7AM in the morning to 10PM late night we operate to ensure you, the reader, get to see what is just right.
Becoming a Patron or a subscriber for as little as Rs 1200/year is the best way you can support our efforts.